“FOR DECADES THE HILLTOPPERS HAVE PLAYED AT L.T. SMITH STADIUM…”
For four decades the Hilltoppers have played at L.T. Smith Stadium. The stadium was built in 1968 with a seating capacity of 19,250, named after L.T. Smith, the football coach at WKU from 1920-21. In order to make the jump to Division 1 Football Bowl Subdivision, the Hilltoppers needed to expand their stadium. WKU embarked on the expansion and renovation which included the increase of seating capacity to 25,000 by adding 5,000+ seats to the west side of the stadium. Additionally, new locker rooms, concession areas, restrooms, weight and training rooms, and a $1.5 million video replay scoreboard were part of the project.
- Complete Mechanical and electrical renovation of the East Stadium including replacement of the boiler system and two air-handling units and pumps.
- Detailed Cost/benefit evaluation of pex system, resulting in significant cost savings and ease of installation.
- Full mechanical and electrical design for the expansion of the west stadium including a new variable air volume system with an expanded temperature differential for increased energy savings.