The Staff Electrical Engineer works on project teams for a variety of projects; including quick turnaround projects as well as, major new construction designs. This engineer shall be familiar with electrical engineering and design of commercial and industrial buildings including power distribution, lighting, and low voltage systems. This engineer should also have the ability to work closely with designers, other engineers and designers and project managers to develop engineering documents per client specifications and Kerr-Greulich Engineers, Inc. (KGEI) quality standards.
REPORTS TO: Project Manager
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Perform analytical system design and calculations and develops understanding of assembly of calculations.
- Provide technical specifications.
- Develop knowledge related to codes and working with regulatory agencies.
- Gain experience and exposure to multiple areas of electrical engineering.
- Learn process of document assembly.
- Begin process of becoming an expert in area of interest in electrical design.
- Develop skills in assessing structural, architectural, civil, mechanical, and electrical design to avoid conflicts in design process.
- Work closely with project managers, engineers and designers in understanding workflow, design process, budgets and deadlines.
- Work closely with designers to create engineering documents for electrical design.
- Self-motivator that will excel career path with educational opportunities.
- Mentors and assists in developing staff.
- Ability to work and lead designers and team members with influence through knowledge and experience.
- Ability to meet with clients to determine electrical work scope and budget.
- Maintain positive client relationships, meeting budget and schedule.
- Attend client meetings as required.
- Conduct on-site reviews as necessary.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Job Knowledge – Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in-group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Project Management – Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from a four-year College or university; and a minimum of four years’ experience in commercial electrical design.
Familiar with coordination studies, arc flash studies, and fault current analysis.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Able to develop excellent verbal and written communication skills Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Database software and Project Management software.
- Proficient in the following software tools:
- Ability to utilize SKM software.
- AutoCAD Software competence.
- BIM/REVIT experience is preferred.
- Microsoft excel for functions and calculations
- Microsoft word to self-perform word processing on specifications and reports.
- Microsoft PowerPoint to provide presentations to internal management team.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Engineer in Training (EIT) or in the process of obtaining EIT, PE preferred, LEED preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that are met by an employee in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The position requires use of computers, vehicles, design and general office equipment. The position does intermittently require a daily physical effort in the form of visiting existing facilities and observing pre-existing conditions of equipment and mechanical systems. Some construction sites will require use of personal protective equipment including safety shoes, hardhat, safety glasses, etc. Ability to respond to safety alerts and voice commands is required. The position requires considerable concentration and creativity. It is subject to stress caused by a changing environment, diversity in the organization, tight deadlines and workload.