Michter’s Distillery at the New Millennium Building
In 2010, the owners of Michter’s Distillery decided to bring their brand to Louisville and began evaluating facilities to house and feature their brand. As part of the design team, Kerr-Greulich Engineers, Inc. (KGEI) began master planning for the Distillery’s needs. This process identified several facilities which met those needs and facilitated the decision to build in two separate facilities/locations.
The building selected for the Distillery was originally a manufacturing facility and KGEI was pleased to participate in renovating the space for food grade production that meets the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS) requirements.
Highlights of KGEI’s design include:
- Use of gas fired rooftops to condition the office areas and bottling lines.
- 100% Outside air units are used to provide conditioning and ventilation for the process areas and still room.
- Utilization of a critical environment HVAC system to condition the label room to maintain tight temperature and humidity requirements.
- A deluge fire protection system for the loading dock area where barrels of bourbon are delivered to the facility.
- Lightning protection provided for the facility to protect the building infrastructure and critical equipment.
- Emergency lighting design.