Cardinal Spirits Distillery
Cardinal Spirits are makers of high quality whiskey, gin, vodka and fruit liqueurs. The ultimate goal of the distillery in Bloomington is to bring the production of high quality spirits to create jobs while supporting the community. The distillery planning began in 2011 and in September of 2013 the company was funded and things quickly began to progress. There are three main areas of the facility including a retail space, a bottling room and a processing room. Kerr-Greulich Engineers, Inc. designed and engineered the mechanical and electrical systems.
Highlights of KGEI’s design include:
- Ethanol gas detection and alarm systems in the processing area.
- Spaces are designed to per Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS) standards.
- Retail and bottling areas utilize package rooftop HVAC units for heating and cooling.
- Processing area is a Class 1-Division 1 high hazard space; heating and ventilation only.
- Electrical power is designed to Class 1-Division 1/Division 2 standards to prevent explosion in the high hazard areas.
- Plumbing systems are designed to accommodate the process equipment and include solids-separator, waste water treatment, spill containment, and domestic water to process equipment.
- Design of lighting and emergency lighting.