Wayside Christian Mission
Wayside Christian Mission is one of Louisville’s main homeless shelters. Their goal is to focus on addressing the primary causes of homelessness, including substance abuse, alcoholism, domestic violence, lack of education and/or mental illness. In late 2013, Wayside began moving forward with the renovation and addition of their current facility. The five-story addition is approximately 60,000 square feet, which includes offices, classrooms, resident dining and 75 new resident rooms. The multi-purpose area and commercial kitchen features a gymnasium, meeting space, overflow for emergency, “white flag” situations and a full service kitchen to serve 3 meals per day/ 365 days per year. The 6,500 square foot interior renovation consists of a new 34 bed men’s shelter and a secure dining area. Kerr-Greulich Engineers, Inc. is working closely with Wayside on the design and engineering of the mechanical and electrical systems.
Highlights of KGEI’s design include:
- Utilization of energy recovery equipment due to the quantity of ventilation.
- Fire sprinkler system throughout the shelter.
- High efficiency domestic water heating systems.
- Energy saving metering faucets.
- Resident rooms feature individual control for heating and air conditioning for personal comfort.
- New HVAC with ultra violet filtering technology within the renovation area.
- Design of all kitchen equipment exhaust hoods.
- Security and access control systems throughout.
- New fire alarm system.
- High efficiency LED lighting.
- 120 kW Diesel emergency generator.