Kindred Healthcare – New Office Building
Kindred Healthcare is the largest diversified provider of post-acute care services in the United States. Their mission is to promote healing, provide hope, preserve dignity and produce value for each patient, resident, family member, customer, employee and shareholder. In late 2014, Kindred began planning a major expansion of its corporate headquarters in downtown Louisville. The 140,000 square foot building adjacent to the company’s current headquarters will house support center operations, a national training center, Kindred University and an employee wellness clinic. The first floor will feature a restaurant fronting the public square. Kerr-Greulich Engineers, Inc. is proud to be an integral part of the design which will allow 500 new jobs to our city.
Highlights of KGEI’s design include:
- Variable air volume (VAV) air handling equipment with electrical heat along the perimeter of the building. Electric heat was chosen by the owner to match concept of the adjacent building.
- Energy recovery equipment used as an energy saving measure to re-coup heat lost within the building exhaust air.
- The VAV system chosen provides flexibility with future office configurations.
- Sound masking system for privacy and reduction of distractions.
- Building automation system (BAS) to reduce the building’s environmental impact and allow the occupants a comfortable environment.
- Renovation in an adjacent building including retrofit of the existing pneumatic controls and connection to the BAS.
- LED lighting throughout the office building.
- Lighting control system also utilized for energy savings.